“But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand. 15 We are foreigners and strangers in your sight, as were all our ancestors. Our days on earth are like a shadow, without hope. 16 LORD our God, all this abundance that we have provided for building you a temple for your Holy Name comes from your hand, and all of it belongs to you.”
I Chronicles 29
“The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully[a] will also reap bountifully. 7 Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”
2 Corinthians 9:7-9
Giving to a church is unlike giving to a college or almost any other charity. It is an important way in which Christians participate in the work of the Kingdom of God. Nor is it merely a monetary transaction. A church that has a big bank account but few workers, or people giving of their time and talent would be a poor church indeed.
Members and friends of the church are urged to give regularly to the church through the annual stewardship campaign. Pledging a certain amount for the coming year allows the trustees to plan wisely for meeting all the expenses associated with running the church, paying staff, upkeep of the building and giving to the various missionary activities that we support with ten percent of our income. Pledges can now be made electronically, which is simple and hassle free. Just call the church office to find out about this option.
Often people for whom the church has been an especially important part of their lives want to insure the financial stability of the church for years to come by giving a legacy gift through their will. There are several funds to which these monies may be directed such as:
- The church’s operating budget
- The endowment (which is invested to help that money grow)
- The Meeting House Preservation Fund, which is used to maintain the physical soundness and beauty of the campus.
- A Faith fund, the purpose of this Fund is too enhance the missions and Christian Education programs of the First Congregational Church apart from the general operation of the church
- The Music fund that supplements the music budget and is used to pay for special music or soloists.
To give securely online click here