“BLESS” is a five week sermon series to help us think about how those around us can see the love of Jesus Christ in us. You are invited to join the BLESS small group that will meet in the Bishop Room immediately following our worship. Together we will be equipped and inspired to bless others and move closer to Jesus.
Share Your Story
Some ways to serve the people in your life who do not know God:
2. Be clear and use common language. Try to avoid “church” language. Words like, “born again,” “Savior,” “redemption,” “grace,” “accepting Jesus, etc., are beautiful and meaningful to Christians but have little or no meaning to people outside the church.
3. Keep it short. Share more as it becomes appropriate. Keep it to two minutes or less. If you want to write it out, 100 words is a good length.
4. Be humble and focus on what God did. “Look at what God did in my life!”
5. Use a before-and-after pattern. How did God change you?
6. Focus on Jesus as the source of change.
7. Tell your story with joy and passion.
8. Tell a story from your life that connects with their life.
Serve with Love
Serve with Love
- Serve through small acts of kindness
- Volunteer to take care of a tangible need (cook a meal, babsit, shovel snow, etc.)
- Make their birthday special
- Send a greeting card
- Join a community service project with someone who is journeying toward God
- Offer to pray
- Keep them company
- Give or lend something
- Don’t miss the big needs – births, deaths, trials, sickness, and more
- When you Listen to people and Eat with them, they will tell you how to love them
Ways to allow others to reciprocate and in turn serve you
- Accept invitations (dinner, parties, etc.) and offers of help
- Share your needs with your neighbors openly
- Be generous with your gratitude
Creative Ways to Eat Together
Here are some ways to eat with people who do not know God.
- Have dinner together in your home or a restaurant
- Share a pizza
- Enjoy a cup of coffee together
- Host a holiday party
- Organize a block party or backyard neighborhood BBQ
- Include others in your family celebrations
- Try new restaurants together
- Add one person to one meal per week
Jot down ideas for how you might schedule a meal/coffee with at least one of your 3-5 within the next few weeks.
Recommended Books to help you discover how to BLESS others.
“Next Door as it is in Heaven – Living Out God’s Kingdom in your Neighborhood” Lance Ford and Brad Brisco, Navpress, 2016.
“True Story – A Christianity Worth Believing In”, James Choung, IVP Books, 2008
“The Art of Neighboring – Building Genuine Relationships Outside your Door” Jay Pathak & Dave Runyon, Baker Books, 2012
“Possible – Discover the Joy of a Prayer, Care, Share Life” Lon Allison, New Hope Publishers, 2017
Listen with Care
Listen with Care
To B.L.E.S.S. others, begin with listening rather than talking. Jesus often engaged people by asking them questions and loving them through conversation. When people are heard and understood, they feel safe and valued. “Listen deeply to people’s dreams and pain. Listen for evidence of God’s work in their lives so you can participate in the work God is already doing.
Spiritual Conversation Starters
SPIRITUAL CONVERSATION STARTERS
God is always seeming to reach and restore the world through blessing (Genesis 12:2). Here are some questions to help you begin a conversation with people who are far from God about spiritual topics.
*Do you have any religious background, and does it mean anything to you?
*What is the story of your faith journey?
*Have you ever had what you would consider to be a spiritual experience? What happened?
*Do you think there is a God? What do you think God is like? What questions would you like to ask God if you could?
*Do you wish God were real? Why or why not? What difference would it make?
*Have you ever had good or bad experiences with Christians or with the church? What were they? (Sometimes we have to rebuild broken trust before a conversation can move forward).
Begin with Prayer
10 Daily Prayers to Boost Your Outreach
By Kevin Harney, Outreach Magazine
Sharing the love and grace of Jesus with the world is the call of every Christian.Young or old, bold or shy, new believer or long-time follower of Jesus—we are all called to tell the story of the Savior and show people that he is alive.We are partners in God’s work of bringing the message of hope to the world. Yet we always remember that we are not the senior partner—God is!
The Apostle Paul made clear that we have the privilege of scattering seed and watering it, but Only God can change lives, forgive sins, save and transform us (1 Corinthians 3:5-7). To be effective in scattering the seed of the gospel of Jesus, we must keep things in their proper perspective.
How to Begin with Prayer
Write a short list of people whom you long to see commit to faith in Christ. Place the list inside your Bible, on your dashboard, or on a note in your cell phone. Commit to start every day with prayer asking God to use you to bless someone in your world who does not know him. Not sure what to pray? Here are some ideas:
1. Pray that ___________ will become thirsty for God (John 7:37-39).
2. Pray that the Father will draw ________ to Jesus (John 6:44-45)
3. Pray that ___________ will become open to God’s truth (2 Corinthians 4:4-6).
4. Pray that _____ will become receptive to God’s grace (Romans 3:23-24; Titus 3:4-7).
5. Prayer for _____’s heartfelt conviction of sin and their need for God (John 16:8-11; 1 Thessalonians 1:4-5)
6. Pray for ______ to take genuine steps of repentance (2 Corinthians 7:10).
7. Pray that _____will clearly experience God’s love (1 John 4:7-10, 19-21).
8. Pray that _______ will develop a heartfelt and willful belief and acceptance of Jesus as King and Lord (John 10: 27-30)
9. Pray for ______to develop deep spiritual rootedness in Christ (John 15:5; Colossians 2:6-7).
10. Pray for _______ to reproduce God’s mission to others who are far from God (Matthew 28:18-20).